Sunday 23 September 2012

Park Run (Personal Best)

I've been taking part in Park Runs for about a year and a half now, timed 5k runs/races which are free to enter which take place every Saturday come rain or shine. My first ever Park Run was the South Manchester Park Run in Platt Fields Park, Fallowfield where I surprised myself with a time of 20:31 (I only though I was capable of 24 minutes) and following that I was hooked on trying to chip away at my personal best.
Better prepared, the month after I got my time down to 20:01 and a few months after that I broke the sub 20 minute mark with 19:56. This year I've been running at a few different Park Runs such as Woodbank in Stockport, Marple, Heaton Park and Wythenshawe Park. None of those courses are as 'fast' as the on in Fallowfield, some of them on grass, some with varying degrees of uphill. I managed 19:50 at Fallowfield this year and thought a good target to aim for by the end of the year would be to try and get to 19:30.
Well yesterday, I had another bash and to my surprise came in at 19:16. I was so happy I wouldn't shut up about it all day (I think I was driving Kate mad). I can only put this massive improvement down to the fact I've not drunk any alcohol for over 3 and a half months (and lost weight because of that). I makes me not want to drink again.
Now I'm thinking, can I go sub-19 by the end of the year....

Km splits for my pb: 3:45, 4:01, 3:55, 4:00, 3:35

No comments:

Post a Comment